About Dr. David
My passion is to help others experience emotional and relational restoration. This stems from my personal faith in Jesus Christ which led to training & ordination in Christian ministry & theology. Combined with education and clinical training in mental health counseling and my licensure as a marriage and family therapist, this equips me to provide a holistic approach.
- Individuals: I use a relational, client-focused, clinically integrated approach. This means I utilize aspects of family systems, psychodynamic, behavioral, and cognitive-behavioral therapy. Simply stated, I believe that human behavior is effected by both internal thoughts and beliefs, as well as external events, including the influences of one’s family of origin and environment. Change is then possible through recognizing and acknowledging the beliefs, thoughts and behavior patterns that have developed within us, and actively working to resolve those that are not helpful or healthy. Counseling may include short-term interventions to target the problems, identifying beliefs and thought processes that cause you difficulty, and learning new ways of thinking.
- Couples: I utilize a research-supported approach empirically shown to provide the highest rate of success. This approach, known as Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (iceeft.com) is considered one of the most highly regarded approaches worldwide for working with couples.
- Florida Southern College (B.A.)
- Candler School of Theology (M.Div.)
- Asbury Theological Seminary (D. Min)
- University of North Florida (M.S.)
Licensure, Professional Membership & Ordination
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with the State of Florida
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Clinical Fellow
- American Association of Christian Counselors Member
- International Centre For Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy Member
Ordained Elder in the Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church
My biblically based Christian worldview is a belief that contributes to my personal nature as a counselor. I recognize the sacred value of each person as being made in the image of God. While I am committed to preserving the institution of marriage and family as created and designed by God according to Scripture, I am equally committed to serving and meeting the needs of all people and will at all times respect client’s personal, spiritual and religious beliefs.
My wife Debbie & I have been happily married since 1987 and reside in Jacksonville. We have two adult sons; Andrew is a professional pianist & Taylor is an associate pastor while Debbie is a dedicated school principal. My hobbies include trap shooting, fishing, and hiking out West.